I have been using my blender a lot this summer, making juices, smoothies, popsicles, etc. Here is another great summer treat we can do at home, even if you don’t have an ice cream maker !
Makes about 4 cups of sorbet
- 32 oz (4 cups) of fresh or frozen berries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Dissolve sugar in water over low heat to make simple syrup, set aside to cool
- Blend berries, 1 cup of simple syrup, and lemon juice together
- Press puree through strainer to remove skins and seeds
- Add about 2 tablespoons more of syrup if needed, mixture should taste slightly sweeter than you would like as a juice
- Pour on a baking sheet or a shallow pan
- Cover and freeze until frozen (at least four hours or overnight)
- Remove from freezer, break the frozen mixture into chunks and blend again until smooth
- Serve right away or put in an airtight container and return to freezer until serve
Use fresh fruits if available, it tastes better. I use a hand blender and a large mixing bowl when blending the frozen mixture, it’s easier than using the tall blender.