This is a very yummy Asian dessert.
Makes about 4 servings
- 75 gm small tapioca pearls
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 50 mL evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 20 gm unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Soak tapioca pearls in water for 30 minutes, drain well
- Cook pearls in large pot of water on medium heat, stirring constantly until pearls turn clear
- Rinse pearls with cold water, drain well
- Add custard powder and egg in 1/2 cup of milk, mix well, set aside
- Heat evaporated milk and the other 1/2 cup of milk in microwave for about 45 seconds, add sugar and butter, stir until melted, let cool for about 5-10 minutes
- Slowly add milk mixture (#6) into egg mixture (#5)
- Heat the above over medium heat in a non-stick pot, stir constantly until thickens
- Stir in tapioca pearls
- Pour mixture in ramekins, about 3/4 full
- Place ramekins on baking tray half-filled with water and bake for about 20 minutes.
The custard should have a texture of thick creamy soup before baking.