Matcha green tea is one of my favourites ! It is served as a tea and is found in many sweets, like ice cream, cakes, cookies, candies, etc. This pudding is another tasty dessert using matcha. As the pudding cools, some matcha powder settles at the bottom which gives the pudding two layers of flavour and texture. I like mine with sweetened red bean paste, but you can also top it with whipped cream.
Makes about 6 servings
Total time = 3 hours
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 envelope or tablespoon unflavoured gelatin powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened red bean paste or whipped cream
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of milk, let sit for a few minutes
- In a non-stick pot, heat remaining milk and sugar over medium heat until just starting to boil, remove from heat
- In a separate bowl, whisk green tea powder in about 1/2 cup of hot milk until no more lumps
- Add gelatin mixture, green tea mixture and vanilla into pot, stir until all dissolved
- Strain through a fine mesh twice and pour into bowls
- Cool, then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2-3 hours or overnight until set
- Top with red bean paste or whipped cream
I love the intriguing flavor of green tea and I’ve been experimenting using it in more desserts. So far I’ve made green tea madeleines, macarons, and gelato–but now I have a serious craving for this creamy pudding! Serving it in Japanese cups is a beautiful touch, too. I’m bookmarking the recipe and will try it very soon.
Thank you so much! 😊
I’ve never tried matcha – is the flavor similar to anything? I’ve always wanted to try it but have been a little nervous about it. 🙂 (Your photos are lovely BTW!)
Thank you so much ! It is similar to green tea that you would be served in a Japanese restaurant.😊
This dessert sounds like it would be so lovely and refreshing after a heavy meal… you just can’t go wrong with a classic pairing of matcha and red bean!