The world has changed a lot over the past few months… It’s literally a whole new world. We are in the middle of a pandemic….staying home, social distancing, online schooling have all become the new normal. It is no doubt a very stressful time. Nevertheless, I think we are all doing our best and staying positive. I am very thankful that my family is keeping safe and healthy.
Because of the situation, my spring market got cancelled, but I am still baking a lot. Last month, my friends and I did a charity bake sale. We sold lots of cookies, cupcakes, brownies……The support was overwhelming! Together, we raised $1000 for the Vancouver Hospital Foundation COVID-19 Response Fund. A big thank you to everyone that donated.
More time at home also means more time to work on recipes! I have been wanting to make an olive oil cake for a while. My first time eating one was years ago at a little cafe and I loved it. It makes the cake soft and moist without leaving a strong taste. I used orange for this recipe, but I think lemon will work wonderfully as well.
Makes one 9.5 inch bundt cake
- 150 g cake and pastry flour
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 6 g baking powder
- 3 g baking soda
- 2 g salt
- 180 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 180 mL milk
- 50 mL fresh orange juice
- zest of a medium orange
- 5 ml pure vanilla extract
- 4 mL pure orange extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
- Sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside
- Beat together sugar and eggs until frothy, using an eletrical mixer or hand whisk
- Mix in olive oil, milk, orange juice, orange zest and extracts
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix until just cooperated
- Pour batter into a 9-inch non-stick bundt pan and bake for about 35 minutes (you can use any other cake pan, but baking time may have to be adjusted)
- Dust with icing sugar when cooled if desired