Quinoa (pronounced as “keenwah”) is a seed that is harvested from the goosefoot plant. It is a great source of protein, fibre and many vitamins and minerals. You can eat it like a grain, use it in salads, stuffing, burger patties, or in this recipe, a smoothie! You have to first cook it, but it’s very easy to do.
To cook quinoa
Makes about 2 cups
- Rinse 1/2 cup of quinoa under water (to remove bitter taste)
- Add 1 cup of water, cook on medium heat over stove
- Bring to boil, then turn heat down to low, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes
- Remove cover, let sit for about 10 minutes
- Fluff with a spatula, let cool
To make smoothie
Makes about 2-3 servings
- 2 ripe frozen bananas (cut in chunks and freeze)
- 200 g fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup sweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
Blend all ingredients together until smooth,serve immediately. Enjoy !