This is definitely the easiest (and laziest) cake recipe I have ever made! It may not be as soft as a regular sponge cake, but it’s equally tasty. I have made a basic and a chocolate cake.
Makes 2 to 3 mug cakes
For basic cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus some for coating mugs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 60 mL milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place butter in a bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds until melted
- Coat inside of mugs with melted butter
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg until blended (butter may still be warm, add egg at the end to prevent curdling)
- Add flour and salt, whisk until smooth
- Pour into mugs, no more than half full
- Microwave for about 90 seconds
- Let cool for a few minutes, serve warm.
- You can top with icing, whipped cream or fruits after completely cooled
For chocolate cake
- Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to batter. Top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup!
Cooking time may vary depending on microwaves and size of mugs.