When my kids were younger and were still in Scouts, we used to sell apples to raise money every September. It takes quite a bit of courage for a 6 and a 9-year-old to go up to strangers and ask for donations. It was such a good experience and I was so proud of them. Now that their interests have changed and we are no longer in Scouts, I really miss those years of fund-raising, camping, hiking and all the other activities that we have done….
Fall is the apple season and there are so many different kinds of apple. Gala is my favourite ! It’s not too big, it’s sweet and has the perfect texture for eating or baking. And I made these mini loaves with walnuts the other day. They taste best when warm….and even better with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream ! I like to make them in mini loaves as you don’t need to bake them as long and can freeze them very easily for later.
Makes 4 mini loaves (dimensions of pans: 5.75 x 3.25 x 2.25 inches)
- 360 g all-purpose flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 4 g baking soda
- 2 g salt
- 3 g ground cinnamon
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g demerara or brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180 mL vegetable oil
- 150 g sour cream
- 10 mL pure vanilla extract
- 400 g diced apples, about 3-4 apples (I used Gala, washed, peeled and cored)
- 120 g coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly oiled and floured 4 mini loaf pans
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, set aside
- Whisk together eggs and sugars until frothy, mix in oil, vanilla and sour cream
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mix until just cooperated
- Stir in apples and walnuts
- Pour batter into 4 loaf pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes
Tools that I used
Chicago Metallic 59440 Commercial II Non-Stick Mini Loaf Pans, Set of 4
You can get the mini loaf pans through the Amazon website by clicking the above link. I will receive a small compensation if you purchase the item.
Apple season is the best and this loaf looks so delicious! I know what you mean about missing when your kids were little like that. Although it doesn’t seem like that much fun at the time, you miss it. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! It’s funny how we want and don’t want the kids to grow up…😄 Happy Thanksgiving!
LikeLiked by 1 person