My friends often ask me how I come up with recipe ideas. Most of the time is seasonal, like using berries in the summer and pumpkin in the fall. Sometimes it’s just sort of random and use whatever I have at home. The other day, I was cleaning up my pantry, I found a bag of shredded coconut, some coconut oil and a few leftovers that I’ve only used once or twice ! Then I remembered I had some coconut milk in the fridge too ! (Wow…didn’t realize I love coconut so much…..) So, I came up with these very “coconuty” muffins ! I added some lemon juice and zest to add fresshness and balance the flavour, and I just love that golden crust on top ! So, if you have some extras lying around, don’t waste them ! Create your own recipes ! You may come up with something really delicious ! You never know !
Makes about 8-10
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 3 g baking powder
- 3 g baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 120 mL unsweetened coconut milk
- 80 mL buttermilk
- 60 mL coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 5 mL pure vanilla extract
- 30 mL lemon juice
- Zest of a small lemon
- 30 g unsweetened shredded coconut + more to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, side aside
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar and egg
- Mix in coconut milk, buttermilk, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and lemon juice
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredient, mix until just blended
- Stir in lemon zest and shredded coconut
- Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with lightly greased muffin cups, about 3/4 full
- Sprinkle top with more shredded coconut
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes
Lemon and coconut is a brilliant combo. These sound amazing!
Your recipe for Lemon Coconut muffins look amazing, Vicky! That is a lovely combination of flavours. I will pin this to give them a try – thanks for sharing!
Lemon and coconut are such a perfect combo and I just happen to have both, so I will add this to my bake list for this weekend. They look simply delicious.
Thank you! Hope you like them!
LikeLiked by 1 person