Sorry! I was one day late for my Mother’s Day post ! Well, but I think we can treat our moms (and myself) any time of the year, and we should ! It doesn’t have to be just Mother’s Day, right ? This cake is very simple, and the blueberries give it a stunning, beautiful color that you don’t need to do much decorations ! I added some freeze-dried blueberries. If you cannot find them, just add a little more puree to enhance the blueberry flavour. (Just a little otherwise the frosting may become watery). The cream cheese frosting is quite soft, so you should keep it in the fridge until serving. I use vanilla cake as I find it very versatile. You can pretty much pair it with any flavour, berries, citrus, caramel, chocolate,etc. Once you have a good recipe, you are set and good to go. You can also use this recipe to make cupcakes, just decrease your baking time to about 18-20 minutes.
I hope all moms had a good Mother’s Day yesterday ! I got a nice surprise from my daughter. She made me some Blueberry Chocolate Bark ! How sweet !
Makes one 6 inch cake
For the vanilla cake
- 300 g cake and pastry flour
- 6 g baking powder
- 3 g baking soda
- 2 g salt
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180 mL buttermilk
- 120 mL milk
- 10 mL pure vanilla extract
- 100 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 100 mL vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Line the bottom of two 6 inch round cake pans with parchment paper, lightly oil and flour the sides
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until pale
- Mix in milk, buttermilk, vanilla, butter and oil (it’s ok if batter is lumpy, the butter may just be solidifying)
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mix until just cooperated.
- Pour batter into the cake pans and bake for about 40 minutes
- Cool completely before assembling
To keep the cake moist and evenly baked, you can bake them in a hot water bath. You can also use cake strips, which you soak in water for a few minutes, squeeze out excess, wrap it around the cake pans and bake.
For the frosting
- 270 g unsalted butter (soften)
- 225 g soft cream cheese
- 120 g icing sugar
- 45 g blueberry puree (store bought or homemade)
- 20 g freeze-dried blueberry powder (optional)
- To make the puree, blend fresh or frozen blueberries (you may need more than 45 g of whole blueberries)
- To make the blueberry powder, grind freeze-dried blueberries with food processor until fine
- Beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth
- Sift in icing sugar, beat until light and smooth
- Add blueberry puree and powder, mix well
- Refrigerate until use
- Trip top of cakes to flatten
- Layer cakes with frosting in between
- Coat side and top of cake with more frosting
- Decorate as desired
- Keep in fridge until ready to serve
You can get the cake strips through the Amazon website by clicking the link below. I will receive a small compensation if you purchase the item.
How gorgeous! I love the color
Thanks! I love it too! All natural, no food colouring needed!